Instructions for collecting your Semen sample
• Do not ejaculate (via intercourse or masturbation) for 3 days prior to providing the semen sample. but please ensure your last ejaculation was no longer than a week ago.
• Do not pass urine during the half hour immediately prior to collecting the sample
• Do not collect by withdrawal from intercourse
• Do not use oil-based lubricants or standard condoms, as they can kill sperm
• Do not refrigerate or let your sample become hotter than body temperature
• Use the sterile specimen container provided by the laboratory
• Label the jar with your name, date of birth, and the time and date of collection
• Collect the ENTIRE sample by masturbation, especially the first few drops
• Check that the lid of the container is screwed on firmly, and placed in a speciment bag (or a plastic bag)
• You or your partner can deliver it to the laboratory within ONE hour of collection if collected at home. Most men prefer to collect at home where the conditions are most favourable
• If you live further than a hour’s travel time away, it is possible to collect the sample at the IVF Center
• Your sample will be tested for number,motility and morphology or normal form.