In-Vitro-Fertilization is a series of steps used by a doctor to help a woman with fertility and assist with impregnation. In the IVF procedure, the mature egg or eggs are collected from a woman’s ovaries and fertilized by sperm in a lab. Then the fertilized egg known as the embryo is transferred to the uterus of the woman.
This whole process can take up to three weeks. In all assisted reproductive technologies, IVF has proven to be the most effective and successful. The procedure can be done by either using a woman’s eggs or the partner’s sperm. IVF can also involve the sperms or the embryos of another donor. A gestational carrier can also be used to carry the embryos.
The success rate of IVF depends on various factors. Some of which are as follows:
- Age: Age is an essential factor for the success of IVF. Women who are above the age of 35 starts to lose their fertility. However, they can still get pregnant, but their chances are lesser than that of women below their age. The medical history also matters in the process of IVF. Blood tests and ultrasound testing can help to indicate the success of IVF.
- Previous Pregnancy: For women who have conceived naturally or artificially have higher chances of getting pregnant again with the help of IVF. For women with recurrent miscarriages can also get pregnant with IVF as the infertility challenge can be identified and fixed.
- Donor Eggs: For those patients who are older or can’t conceive due to factors like egg quality etc. can use donor eggs for a higher chance of pregnancy.
- Fertility problems: For patients with fertility problems, IVF is an excellent option to help them get pregnant. Infertility may be due to various issues such as uterine abnormalities, fibroid tumors, ovarian dysfunction, and dual infertility factors. Male factor infertility may be due to low sperm count and motility. Some of these problems can be fixed with the help of IVF.
- Lifestyle Factors: There are some factors which the patients can control themselves. One such example is smoking. Cigarette smoking can affect the fertility of both women and men. Another such factor is being overweight or obese. Being overweight can adversely affect the success of IVF. It also makes it difficult to carry the baby and bring it to term.
- Lab Quality and Embryologist’s experience: Careful cutting of the embryo and the process of fertilization requires a clean and sanitized environment. The embryologist, who prepares the egg and sperm for the process of fertilization needs to highly qualified and experienced.
- Fertility Clinic: Fertility clinic is involved at every stage of the process of IVF; therefore it is essential to choose the clinic wisely. The experts at the fertility clinic have a significant impact on the IVF process. The fertility clinic you opt for can have an enormous effect on your experience. If the success rate of the fertility clinic is high, your chances of getting impregnated are also high.
The Success Rate of IVF
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, IVF has resulted in live births in 38.3% of women who are under the age of 35. As for the age group between 35 to 37, the success rate is 32%. For those who are between 38 to 40 years, the success rate is 23.1% and 10.4% for women over 40.
The success rate in India is said to be 20 times higher. According to various studies conducted, the success rate in India of IVF is increasing every year for every age group with the advancement in the experience of doctors and techniques used.
Infertility Treatment Cost In Gurgaon India
The IVF Treatment Cost in India differs from city to city. All the metropolitan cities in India have experienced doctors providing IVF treatment. The IVF India cost also differs based on different factors like age and fertility, which might require more than one cycle of treatment. The Infertility Treatment In Gurgaon cost on an average is Rs. 2,00,00 to Rs. 5,00,000. However, this figure can vary depending on the type of treatment and the duration of treatment. IVF in India attracts thousands of patients every year due to the balanced combination of quality low-cost treatments and affordable medicines. In comparison to other countries, like the USA where IVF costs between $12000 and $15000 and the UK where it costs between $8000 to $15000, India is the preferred destination IVF treatment costing between $3500 to $6500.
Risks Which IVF Includes
- Premature Delivery: IVF slightly increases the chance of the baby being born early or underweight.
- Multiple Births: As the IVF procedure sometimes requires a transfer of more than one embryo, the chances of having twins and triplets are higher in comparison to a healthy pregnancy.
- Stress: IVF can be exhausting physically, mentally, financially and emotionally. Having the support of family and friends can be helpful.